Archive for May 12th, 2010
Recently, I was on a cruise to the Caribbean and two years ago I was on a different cruise to the other side of the Caribbean. I visited countries like St. Marteen, Honduras, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Belize, and Grand Cayman. At all times, we were told by the cruise lines (Carnival and Royal Caribbean) that we should always carry identification with us, whether that would be copies of our passport, the original passport, and our drivers license. Recently 3 colleagues went to the Ukraine on a business trip and they were told by IRX(the company sending them overseas) to have their passports in hand at all times. Why? Because at any time we could be asked for it and if we didn’t have it we would be sent packing.
Why should this be different in this country. If you are here illegally, you are breaking the law. Send you packing sir. If you want to be part of this country, learn our language and take the test (I know its not that simple). How much does it cost the American Taxpayer each year to have an illegal in this country b/c of things we pay for(unpaid medical care, ect).
It has caused huge unrest across the country from a warning from the state department on travels to Mexico to Major League Baseball threatening to pull the 2012 All-Star game from Phoenix if this law stays in affect.
This is what I tell the law-makers of Arizona: “Way to go and do not back down”
As for what the rest of the country things, take a look here and see what Business Week has in an article. You might be surprised what the poll they cited had to say….
I have not read Laura Bush’s book, but I think I will have to. I guess I have never spent a lot of time contemplating the policy preferences of Laura Bush, but perhaps I should. She apparently disagrees with her husband about both gay marriage and reproductive rights. I have to imagine this makes for some interesting segments in the book.
(Another fact I had not paid much attention to: Laura is apparently more of an intellectual than George, interested in things like literature.)
Laura Bush recently went on Larry King to discuss the book, and she point-blank said she was for equal rights for gay couples and thought abortion should be legal. The video is here.
Most of the time I don’t much care for books from those leaving office (whether they be Clinton or Bush), but this could be worth a read.
Enjoy pondering how that relationship worked when he backed the gay marriage ban amendment.
This ad attacks Republican (since 1997) gubernatorial candidate Bradley Byrne for supporting the teaching of evolution in schools. Seriously. It also attacks him for saying that parts of the Bible should be taken literally and other parts should not. Apparently evolution and non-Biblical literalism are liberal things.
Not to worry, Byrne has responded to that ad by saying
I have never wavered in my belief that this world and everything in it is a masterpiece created by the hands of God… I fought to ensure the teaching of creationism in our school text books.
He caved to the ad to the point that he even trumpeted creationism in schools. Oh Alabama.
Alabama also saw the awesome “language” ad another Republican gubernatorial candidate, Tim James, ran. Because the most important issue facing America and the country is whether or not drivers license examinations can be given in languages other than English.
The ad, of course, was little more than a publicity stunt to play on the xenophobe in the public. According to Alabama Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Martha Earnhardt, here are the facts:
- Alabama doesn’t pay for the tests or the computers they are taken on because the federal government handles that.
- The “knowledge skills” portion of the test is given in 14 languages
- The other half, the “driving skills” portion, is only given in English, ensuring that test takers speak the language
But facts aren’t nearly as important as getting people talking about something this meaningless.
Enjoy not living in Alabama.
- internal hemorrhoids treatments on Egypt Reactions
- like this on John Thune and Sotomayor
- jquery mobile tutorial on College Football/Nebraska-KSU Challenge
- discount learn css3 pdf on Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now aka ACORN
- site link on Rep. Weiner on Justice Thomas and the Appearance of Bias
- rate us online on House Officially Disapproves of Wilson’s Outburst
- rate us on Will Rogers Said It Best
- t1 circuit info on Good God Glenn
- reality show casting on Teacher takes Student the wood shed…
- insurnace companies on Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage
Most Commented Posts
- Miss me yet (130)
- Arizona's Racist Law (119)
- Confessions of a Tea Party Casualty (83)
- Smoking Ban Thoughts and Poll (80)
- Tom Tancredo Wants Literacy Tests (76)
- The Apparent Trap/Hawaiian Health Care (62)
- Sarah Palin: Persecuted Jew? (57)
- Healthcare (53)
- Cash for Clunkers: What a joke! (50)
- Tom Coburn Has Pelosi's Back and a Point (49)