Update: Here are some reactions to the law. You may be surprised by a few of them.
If you haven’t heard of Arizona SB1070, you probably haven’t been watching much news. I haven’t commented on it because I’m finishing my last semester up and have been using my spare time to watch Glenn Beck (never thought I would write that sentence). Time to at least mention it, because I try and mention every obvious bit of racism that somehow becomes law.
Everyone must be able to prove their lawful residence in the US or face warrant-less arrest, fine of at least $500, and up to 6 months in jail. It allows officers to check anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant. In other words, they can just randomly check Mexicans.
I know at least a few people here will argue that it makes sense since they constitute most of the people here illegally. But this also means Mexicans here legally will be frequently harassed in Arizona. I doubt many white people will be stopped, though Canadians and Europeans stay beyond their legal time.
That is why this, in my opinion, is unconstitutional. It will single out one group. Mexicans are not the only illegal immigrants, but they will be the only people affected by the legislation. This isn’t the direction I want America to move in.
Stephen Colbert dedicated The Word to this very subject:
|The Colbert Report||Mon – Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
|The Word – No Problemo|
(Side note: McCain’s support of this bill is just proof of how much of a liar he really is. Remember when he was for reasonable immigration reform?).
Enjoy your civil liberties, as long as you don’t look Mexican and live in Arizona, in which case, tough break I guess.
- internal hemorrhoids treatments on Egypt Reactions
- like this on John Thune and Sotomayor
- jquery mobile tutorial on College Football/Nebraska-KSU Challenge
- discount learn css3 pdf on Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now aka ACORN
- site link on Rep. Weiner on Justice Thomas and the Appearance of Bias
- rate us online on House Officially Disapproves of Wilson’s Outburst
- rate us on Will Rogers Said It Best
- t1 circuit info on Good God Glenn
- reality show casting on Teacher takes Student the wood shed…
- insurnace companies on Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage
Most Commented Posts
- Miss me yet (130)
- Arizona's Racist Law (119)
- Confessions of a Tea Party Casualty (83)
- Smoking Ban Thoughts and Poll (80)
- Tom Tancredo Wants Literacy Tests (76)
- The Apparent Trap/Hawaiian Health Care (62)
- Sarah Palin: Persecuted Jew? (57)
- Healthcare (53)
- Cash for Clunkers: What a joke! (50)
- Tom Coburn Has Pelosi's Back and a Point (49)