Posts Tagged ‘Jim Manley’
I wrote yesterday about McCain’s ridiculous threat and how silly it is to refuse to govern because you didn’t get your way. Well, Republicans have started their stand, and it is absolutely appalling.
They are shutting down committees using an overlooked rule of the Senate. If they were using Senate rules to shut down legislation they thought was bad or something, I maybe could respect it. But they are shutting down committees that are completely unrelated to health care.
They are doing it just to be dicks, and Democrats are calling them on it.
“Let me get this straight: in retaliation for our efforts to have an up-or-down vote to improve health care reform, Republicans are blocking an Armed Services committee hearing to discuss critical national security issues?” Jim Manley said as a spokesman for Harry Reid.
Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) tweeted today : “Disappointed. Rs refusing to allow hearings today. Had to cancel my oversight hearing on police training contracts in Afghanistan.”
Leahy, on the GOP shutting down judicial nominations:
For months, Senate Republicans have resisted efforts to enact important reforms to our health insurance system. But when the dust settles and the emotions are calmed, history will show that President Obama and this Congress responded to a pressing national issue, and proved once again that we can act with the purpose of advancing an important national interest. Sadly, actions like today’s objections from Senate Republicans to the consideration of a highly qualified, historic nominee will be viewed as little more than petty, partisan politics.
“The Senate should be a place for debate, but I cannot imagine how shutting down a hearing on helping homeless veterans has any part of the debate on the health insurance reform,” said Akaka. “I am deeply disappointed that my colleagues chose to hinder our common work to help end veteran homelessness.”
So, let me ask you, Republican health care reform haters, are you proud of the tactics Republicans are employing that have nothing to do with reform? Is this what you want them to do?
Enjoy a lot of old white dudes acting like three-year-olds.
- internal hemorrhoids treatments on Egypt Reactions
- like this on John Thune and Sotomayor
- jquery mobile tutorial on College Football/Nebraska-KSU Challenge
- discount learn css3 pdf on Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now aka ACORN
- site link on Rep. Weiner on Justice Thomas and the Appearance of Bias
- rate us online on House Officially Disapproves of Wilson’s Outburst
- rate us on Will Rogers Said It Best
- t1 circuit info on Good God Glenn
- reality show casting on Teacher takes Student the wood shed…
- insurnace companies on Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage
Most Commented Posts
- Miss me yet (130)
- Arizona's Racist Law (119)
- Confessions of a Tea Party Casualty (83)
- Smoking Ban Thoughts and Poll (80)
- Tom Tancredo Wants Literacy Tests (76)
- The Apparent Trap/Hawaiian Health Care (62)
- Sarah Palin: Persecuted Jew? (57)
- Healthcare (53)
- Cash for Clunkers: What a joke! (50)
- Tom Coburn Has Pelosi's Back and a Point (49)