Posts Tagged ‘Pope Benedict’
This could be the real significance of last week’s invitation. What’s being interpreted, for now, as an intra-Christian skirmish may eventually be remembered as the first step toward a united Anglican-Catholic front — not against liberalism or atheism, but against Christianity’s most enduring and impressive foe.
I need to put that quote from Douthat’s most recent op-ed in the New York Times in context so it makes sense. Douthat sees Pope Benedict’s move to bring Anglicans in England back to the Catholic Church not as an attempt at Christian unity or an effort to increase the size of the Catholic Church. Douthat believes it was done so that Christianity is better equipped to stand against “Christianity’s most enduring and impressive foe,” which is Islam.
“Wait,” you say. “I don’t get it. I thought you were going to put that quote into context so it would make sense, but that makes absolutely no sense.” I agree. That makes no sense to me.
Part of the evidence he uses to support this claim is that the Pope said, three years ago, that Islam may not be compatible with the Western way of reason. So non-Catholics that want to take an active role against 1.5 billion of the world’s population will join the Catholic Church for holy war.
Seriously? Glenn Greenwald has a response to this op-ed. He points out how ridiculous it is to turn to a group that believes in papal infallibility, tries to keep birth control out of areas of poverty, AIDS, and overpopulation. The main point is that religious extremism in general isn’t in line with Western reason. Greenwald points out that the Texas GOP wishes to criminalize all sex between homosexual adults (among several other things). Also, are torture, rendition, and non-prosecution in line with Western reason?
Then you have to wonder just how Douthat thinks Christians will meet this “challenge.” What exactly is he advocating? Kicking them out of Europe? Making their religion illegal? It seems like anything he would be advocating would go against Western reason.
Enjoy holy war, I guess.
- internal hemorrhoids treatments on Egypt Reactions
- like this on John Thune and Sotomayor
- jquery mobile tutorial on College Football/Nebraska-KSU Challenge
- discount learn css3 pdf on Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now aka ACORN
- site link on Rep. Weiner on Justice Thomas and the Appearance of Bias
- rate us online on House Officially Disapproves of Wilson’s Outburst
- rate us on Will Rogers Said It Best
- t1 circuit info on Good God Glenn
- reality show casting on Teacher takes Student the wood shed…
- insurnace companies on Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage
Most Commented Posts
- Miss me yet (130)
- Arizona's Racist Law (119)
- Confessions of a Tea Party Casualty (83)
- Smoking Ban Thoughts and Poll (80)
- Tom Tancredo Wants Literacy Tests (76)
- The Apparent Trap/Hawaiian Health Care (62)
- Sarah Palin: Persecuted Jew? (57)
- Healthcare (53)
- Cash for Clunkers: What a joke! (50)
- Tom Coburn Has Pelosi's Back and a Point (49)