Posts Tagged ‘Soccer’
Glenn Beck hates the World Cup a lot, likely because the rest of the world hates it. Beck also draws some giant analogy with almost no thought put into it about how the World Cup represents Barack Obama’s policies. (If he means Barack Obama’s policies unite the world, I guess he sees that as a bad thing?) Beck also thinks America will reject the World Cup no matter how much it is forced down our throats. This facts, once again, have no impact on Beck’s ravings. World Cup coverage is breaking records with numbers of viewers. He also must really hate Rupert Murdoch for shoving soccer down our throats, what with Fox Soccer Channel and all. And those damned corporations advertising soccer apparently have been socialists all along.
Dan Gainor believes it must be a socialist plot because soccer is for the poor. He also claims our sporting events don’t devolve into riots. (Hmm, within the last week L.A. rioters burned a cab, Artest and team fighting the crowd, Michigan St. riots, the ten here, and on and on. Is he kidding?) He also claims soccer is being sold in America due to the “browning” of America. Seriously.
Some say soccer is being promoted by the left because they are uncomfortable with American exceptionalism (or something?). Gary Schmitt says soccer must be unAmerican because of some drivel about excellence prevailing in American sports and not in soccer (which is absolute garbage).
Others wonder why it’s being forced on us when we aren’t getting any better, though we’ve clearly improved a great deal and continue to do so. Look at the amount of youths that play soccer. It is growing.
I’m not the biggest soccer fan in the world, and for a good deal of time I would always say I hated soccer. Weird, right, since I’m a left-wing nutjob. But I hated it because I thought it was boring, not because of some strange conspiracy, or because it was scary and different. I’m really giving watching it a shot and I find that even the games not involving America are interesting. The score might be 1-0 but there are no shortage of near goals, great shots, great saves, or great crosses. And I realize it was hypocritical of me because I love a 1-0 baseball game and a 3-0 football game for many of the same reasons. The more America learns about the game the more it can appreciate and enjoy it, which is what is happening.
But back to the left-wing conspiracy garbage. These people are simply afraid of what is different. If something they don’t understand comes along, it must be dangerous. If the rest of the world (including allies and enemies) loves it, it must be horrible. Poor countries play it, it must be for poor people. Brown countries play it, it must be for brown people. The crap spewing from these peoples’ mouths is truly insane, and it makes me even happier to be enjoying the World Cup. I hope it’s a huge success and soccer continues to grow, just to make these crotchety old dudes uncomfortable. I can just picture the, “I hate change!” and “New things scare me!” cries emanating from various conservative news sources.
Enjoy the World Cup.
- internal hemorrhoids treatments on Egypt Reactions
- like this on John Thune and Sotomayor
- jquery mobile tutorial on College Football/Nebraska-KSU Challenge
- discount learn css3 pdf on Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now aka ACORN
- site link on Rep. Weiner on Justice Thomas and the Appearance of Bias
- rate us online on House Officially Disapproves of Wilson’s Outburst
- rate us on Will Rogers Said It Best
- t1 circuit info on Good God Glenn
- reality show casting on Teacher takes Student the wood shed…
- insurnace companies on Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage
Most Commented Posts
- Miss me yet (130)
- Arizona's Racist Law (119)
- Confessions of a Tea Party Casualty (83)
- Smoking Ban Thoughts and Poll (80)
- Tom Tancredo Wants Literacy Tests (76)
- The Apparent Trap/Hawaiian Health Care (62)
- Sarah Palin: Persecuted Jew? (57)
- Healthcare (53)
- Cash for Clunkers: What a joke! (50)
- Tom Coburn Has Pelosi's Back and a Point (49)